“For every thing there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven.”
Senior Seasons is a ministry of St. John's Lutheran Church, open to anyone in the community. The ministry provides fun and meaningful opportunities to senior adults who wish to grow and serve God's kingdom through personal enrichment, education, healthy living, travel, and community service.
For additional information about any of our programs or to receive the weekly email blast, please contact Diane Poole, Director of Senior Adults.
Events & Trips
Join us for fellowship, laughter, good food and fun! Some events are right here at St. John's, while others are area day trips or 3-4 day bus trips to entertaining and interesting locations.
All Bible studies, Lunch-N-Learns, and events are currently online via zoom.
The Academy at St. John’s is an initiative of Senior Seasons Ministry. The Academy schedule offers a variety of educational courses and activities in the areas of spiritual growth, community service, personal enrichment, healthy living, and FUN!
Fall Academy will be a 4-week series, Tuesdays, Sept. 14- Oct. 5, with Pastor Rhodes’ Bible Study from 10-11:30 am, lunch from 11:30 am -12:30 pm, and a “master’s class” in the afternoon.
A box lunch will be provided for those who purchase. Cost is $10. You may also bring your lunch.
Morning Bible Study: 10-11:30 am
Pastor Rhodes Woolly will teach the bible study, entitled, “Questions for Jesus.” Session titles are listed below.
- What Do You Think about Marriage and Divorce? (Mark 10:2-16)
- What Must I Do to Be Saved? (Mark 10:17-31)
- How Boldly Can I Pray? (Mark 10:46-52)
- How Much Should I Give? (Mark 12:38-44)
Lunch 11:30am -12:30pm
Afternoon Class: 12:30 pm-2 pm
Catawba College leaders and professors will share on a variety of topics.
- Dr. David Nelson, President of Catawba College, speaking on the History and Mission of the College + News on promising developments for the future, including meaningful ways of engaging the community with the college.
- Dr. Scott Morton, Assistant Professor of Communications, “The History of Broadcast Radio in the United States”
- Amanda Grieshaber, Coordinator of Therapeutic Recreation, speaking on the benefits of her program, giving some demonstrations of techniques.
- Dr. Kenneth W. Clapp, Sr. Vice President and Chaplain, speaking on “Why We Need Church Related Colleges.”
Seasons Gifts is located in the Upper Level of the Faith Center. Celebrate First Communion, Baptism, holidays, and birthdays. Find baby gifts, cards for all occasions, jewelry, scarves, sympathy gifts, and specialty items.
Proceeds support our Senior Seasons ministry, and the shop features items donated by members of St. John’s and purchased from our mission partners. Not only are you purchasing a gift to support the Senior Seasons Ministry but you are also supporting life-changing global ministry efforts! Senior adult volunteers run the shop. We add new items each season.