Minister of Adult Discipleship
The Minister of Adult Discipleship oversees a multi-faceted program of learning, faith formation, new member engagement, and assimilation for adults. In addition to adult formation, the Minister of Adult Discipleship will oversee the congregation’s women’s ministry and actively collaborate with the children’s, youth, and older adult ministry staff.
Primary Responsibilities: Adult faith formation
- Manage and oversee all ministry related to adult education
- Walk alongside current Sunday School classes/leaders and develop new approaches to Sunday morning adult formation
- Develop short- and long-term classes in adult faith formation
- Serve on the congregation’s teaching team, including the identification and equipping of additional teachers
- Manage the development of curricula for adult education
- Manage and oversee the congregation’s LifeGroup ministry
- Work alongside the library team in identifying and securing resources for adult faith formation
- Provide staff oversight and management of the Adult Discipleship Team
- Work collaboratively with the children’s, youth, and older adult ministry staff
- Oversee women’s ministry (GIFT)
- Work alongside the Communications Specialist in creating an effective strategy for promoting adult faith formation
Primary Responsibilities: New member engagement
- Oversee and manage all Sunday morning guest outreach
- Schedule, manage, and oversee the Encounter Class, while developing other approaches to engage with guests
- Oversee and manage assimilation of new members into the life of the congregation
- Love for ministry
- Capable leader
- Effective communicator
- Team player
- Conscientious work ethic
- Strong background in the biblical story
- Technology and social skills/proficiency
- Ability to communicate vision and follow through with program tasks supporting that vision
- Administrative and organizational skills
- Ability to coordinate ministry that meets a wide variety of adults at different levels
- Works well in a Christ-centered, team environment
- Professional ministry experience preferred
- College degree minimum
- Willingness to invest significantly in the life of the St. John’s and Salisbury communities
Expectations of all staff members
- Develop annual personal/professional (including continuing education) goals that are shared with supervisor at time of evaluation.
- Attend and be fully engaged in Wednesday staff devotions and Monday all-staff meetings.
- Commit to a healthy discipline of holy living. Of note: The ELCA “Vision and Expectations” document is a helpful guide for rostered and lay staff members.
- Commit to a healthy embrace of staff supervision and evaluation.
- Understand and adhere to the congregation’s Personnel Guidelines, including the protocol for staff grievances, the Child Protection Policy, Social Media Policy, and the policy surrounding harassment.
- Commit to upholding staff trust and integrity.
- Understand triangulation, proper conflict management, and the importance of healthy space for challenging conversation.
- Serve as a champion and advocate for the congregation’s mission and ministry.
Hours: Part-time (25-29 hours per week)
Supervision: Accountable to the Pastor for Youth and Discipleship
About St. John’s
St. John’s Lutheran Church is a congregation of 1200 members located in Salisbury, NC. The congregation has a rich history in the ELCA and is a significant ministry partner in the Salisbury community. The St. John’s community gathers weekly for worship in both the traditional and contemporary format and through the week for study, fellowship, and service.